Original post by Canadian Bureau for International Education
International students in Canada
- Canada ranks as the world’s 4th most popular destination for international students (Source: Project Atlas)
- There were 494,525 international students in Canada in 2017, representing a 119% increase since 2010, and an increase of 20% over the previous year (Source: Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada).
- International students made up 11% of the postsecondary student population in Canada in the 2015-2016 academic year (Source: Statistics Canada).
- Of the 494,525 international students in Canada, 48% are in Ontario, 24% are in British Columbia and 12% are in Quebec.
The economic impact
- Canada derives nearly $8B annually from international student expenditures including tuition and living expenses.
- The presence of international students created over 81,000 jobs and generated over than $445M in government revenue (2010).
Check out the latest infographics of CBIE / BCEI.